Wednesday 6 June 2012

Poetry and Sport


Apparently Camus was an excellent football player and Beckett loved cricket. Poetry and sport. You wouldn't necessarily put the two together. Until now.

I'm off to check out an Olympic-inspired event celebrating the union of poetry and sport on Monday 11th June at King's Place. The event will be hosted by Clare Balding and will feature Olympic legends Edwin Moses, Tanni Grey Thopmson, Chris Holmes and Laura Badea. They will be sharing their Olympic stories and reading poems about sporting excellence from the book 'Winning Words' which will be launched at the event.

I'm particularly excited to listen to Laura Badea, former Romanian Olympic champion for individual foil at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. I'm sure she has some great fencing stories to tell and I could definitely learn a thing or two from her!


It is set to be a wonderful evening. I am sure it will be very inspiring and I am looking forward to listening to this unique mix of sport and poetry. I often turn to words for inspiration, and sometimes poems, but rarely do I read poems about sport and great sporting endeavour. It will be an interesting evening and I hope that some of you can join me - sporting and fencing fans alike!

More info about the event and how to buy tickets can be found here: http://www.poetinthecity.co.uk/events/136

Don't miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment