Tuesday 12 June 2012

End of the road, London 2012



You may have heard the news today of the selection of the British Olympic fencing team. Unfortunately I have to confirm that I have not been selected to represent Team GB at the London Olympic Games.

The hardest part of all is telling your friends, family and support team that you have not made it.

I have had such great support from so many of you in this four-year Olympic cycle, and I wish I could give you better news.

Despite this huge disappointment, I have enjoyed the journey, and all of the hard work and sacrifice has been worth it. I have learnt so much about myself, and what it takes to be the best at elite level.

I have dreamt of going to the Olympics ever since I was a little girl but I have felt some peace in the knowledge that at all times I gave it 100%. I tried my absolute hardest, and there can be no regrets.

I am writing this blog really, as a big thank-you to my sponsors and support team, who have been so supportive and encouraging to me over the last few years. You know who you are. I will write to you all personally as soon as I can.

I always felt very lucky to have had such a great team of people around me, my family and friends included, and there is no way I could have even got this far without your backing. So thank-you, so much. 

I wish my teammates and all of the British fencers selected for the Olympic Games much luck this summer. We have trained and worked so hard for this and I genuinely hope that we get the results we deserve.

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    it is sad to hear but you can at least say you have given it everything with heart, passion and dedication. You are a real credit to your sport and a great ambassador for British sport. Amazing things will happen for you, dont give up. All the best, Katherine (Stockport).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being selected doesn't make you any less of a person, and the attempt has made you more of one. You should be proud of your effort, and of this VERY dignified statement. Well done. Mavis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire Im so sorry you missed the cut but know you will fight all the harder for more opportunities in your sport and be an example to others to push for their dreams. I enjoyed meeting you and hope my little videos were helpful for your mission. Do stay in touch and good luck with your future
    best
    John Griffith

    ReplyDelete