Tuesday 14 May 2013

Youth Employment Convention


On Wednesday 8th May, I was very proud to speak on behalf of the Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust at the Youth Employment Convention in Westminster.

Since stopping fencing, I have been involved in many projects with the Trust that seek to help young people get their lives back on track. The DKH Legacy Trust employ a team of world-class athletes who use their experience and skills gained in elite level sport to help support young people, the majority of whom come from difficult backgrounds.

This is something that I care a great deal about. When I think back at how much my mentors have been there for me and have given up their time and experience so unselfishly for my benefit – I am very grateful. I find it very rewarding to be able to give something back.

It’s not about trying to make disadvantaged young people future Olympians. It’s about trying to help them develop skills like focus, resilience, confidence, self-esteem and work ethic. All of which, I was lucky enough to pick up through sport.

I was honoured to be a part of the Youth Employment Convention, and particularly interested to hear the opinions of the Youth panel who all had different experiences and stories to tell on seeking employment in the current economic climate.

The point of the convention was to stimulate a larger national debate about youth employment and unemployment and what better way to kick-start a conference than to listen to the opinions of a range of different young people.

Those on the panel were enthusiastic, funny, articulate and spoke powerfully. They absolutely stole the show.

It was interesting for me to hear that one of the main barriers that young people face when looking for employment is a lack of confidence and self-esteem, as well as the motivation to keep trying over and over again when faced with multiple rejections.

The Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust helps break down the barriers and fears that young people are experiencing. It’s about making young people feel good about themselves, and supporting them whilst they strive to achieve their potential.

I felt a massive sense of pride when I heard the young people speak because it felt like I was part of something that was making a difference and that felt good.

I said in my speech that we need to trust in our young people more and support them as they try to develop and make a contribution to society.

Young people are our future. It is up to families, government, schools, charities and other parties to harness that potential and give them the best possible chance to succeed.

Photographs courtesy of Andy Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment