Monday 4 October 2010

Commonwealth Championships, Melbourne 2010 - Individual bronze medal
















Hello from Melbourne! Fortunately, unlike our English counterparts in Delhi, we have not yet come across any collapsing bridges or snakes in the bed. In fact, Melbourne has been lovely so far. It has rained quite a bit since we arrived but that was to be expected at this time of year and it did make me feel at home! Today however, the sun is shining, the day after my individual event at the Commonwealth Games. I got a bronze medal. I was extremely disappointed not to make the final as that was my goal, but I achieved some important goals along the way to the semis which I know will set me in good stead for the season ahead.

First, I was pleased with my performance and fenced strongly and confidently throughout the day. Second, for me, personally, my final was my quarter-final fight against Wang (SIN). This was my best fight of the day in terms of mental strength. We were hitting each other point for point until the last 30 seconds when she got 2 hits up on me. I managed to level the score in the last 20 seconds or so by applying pressure and either finishing or provoking my opponent to attack and picking up the counter-parry reposte. Wang was given priority in the final deciding hit, and so I had a minute to make sure the last hit was mine, and on target. Usually, when it is down to the last hit, I try to visualise which action I am going to make before I take up my en-guarde position. This time, all I could think about, quite simply, was making it mine. I didn’t allow for doubt to creep in and finished it with a patient parry reposte as she attacked from long-distance. It was a big personal victory for me, and mentally, I was pleased I was able to handle the pressure.
My L16 fight was against Ruth Ng (SIN) who I know and respect from the senior world cup circuit. I beat her 15-9. My semi-final fight was against Lisa Mckenzie (SCO). She beat me 15-11 and I thought she fenced very well. There were a few tough calls to make to which I reacted strongly against, but I learnt my lesson, and I am determined to make up for it in the team event.
As captain of the England team at the Commonwealth Games this year, it means a lot to me that we perform to the best of our ability and make the most of the opportunity. It will take a big effort but I believe we can do it. It will be about whether we can hold our nerve on the day. A couple of weeks ago, the England team and I arranged for us to have a squad training day at the Lansdowne Club. After training, we spoke about the team, what order we prefer to fence in, our likes and dislikes and generally used the time to bond as a team. I believe in creating a ‘synergy’ and sense of unit around the team, we will be able to bring the best out of ourselves on the day. I have really enjoyed bonding with the girls and they are a pleasure to work with. I am excited, and very much looking forward to Sunday. You can follow the team’s progress on: www.cfc10.org & my twitter page cbennettGBR@twitter.com – wish us luck!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you Claire. A bronze medal may be disappointing to you but its damned impressive none the less. Great photos by the way I’m not sure what you are looking at in the forth one but it seems you are eyeing up the competition maybe you preferred her teddy (do the men get those as well?)

    As a novice fencer it is encouraging to see your professionalism and enthusiasm for the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your lovely message, very kind of you and much appreciated!

    In reply to your fourth photo comment, I must have been checking her medal was the same size as mine ;) Only joking, I don't really know why I was eyeing up her prizes!

    Yes, the men got teddy's too. That particular teddy was really cool because they came with a pen so that they could be signed. I got my team to sign mine before leaving. We also got little kangaroo teddy's for our team gold. Lucky me!

    Thanks again. All the very best, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C
    Forget the team, focus on you. If you want to medal then forget the laughs and the jokes, You need to be so selfish and focused,so focused that people (including your friends) will not to recognise you.
    You can do it
    Geoff Simpson (Grey: 1969-1972)
    A mate of Duster (JB) and Mike S.

    ReplyDelete