Wednesday 31 March 2010

"If you screw things up in tennis, it's 15-love. If you screw things up in boxing, it's your ass."


Last week I started boxing! I wanted to do a different sport as an aside from fencing to keep my brain stimulated in other ways and avoid getting stale. I chose boxing because of its similarities to fencing. The footwork is largely similar except that whereas fencing footwork is linear, in boxing you need to move in all directions. Like fencing, you need to have quick reactions, and a tactical brain that can outwit your opponent.

I came back buzzing from my first session. It is an unforgiving sport where your brain must be engaged from start to finish or you risk receiving a nasty little surprise to your ribs or chin! I haven't felt that buzz or sense of engagement in any other sport other than in fencing. It forces you to sharpen your concentration as well as your thinking power. The boxing trainer I saw explained that boxing is all about confidence - hesitate or cower away at any given moment and you’re dead. Although I do not intend to actually get in the ring, I think boxing will help with my confidence and increase my competitive edge. I am already looking forward to the next session!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bennett, I saw your interview on TV today and I would like to contact you, but I can't find you address...

    Good luck, I keep my fingers crossed for your qualification!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Claire,

    It's James here from stevegtennis.com. Would you be interested in doing some articles for
    us at Stevegtennis.com (the oldest tennis results website in the world).

    We get around 5000 unique hits a day (20,000 page views) so would be great to have you involved.

    Let me know if you think we can collaborate together.

    Best regards, James

    ReplyDelete